Thursday, July 31, 2014

The 10 phases of my eyebrows.

Phase 1- Ah, the beautiful childhood tresses of the temple. As a kid, my eyebrows were quite huge, yes, but they were decent. They brought out my eyes a little and besides, I just didn't care back then. I remember my mother would make me use this eyebrow pencil to bring out my already-luscious eyebrows even more. Back then, I'd be very pleased with thick eyebrows and I'd find ways to make it even thicker (like applying hair oil on them)



Phase 2- And it was all well till I started developing a unibrow at the beginning of puberty! I hated it, it made me look shady and geeky, but on the plus side, it hid most of my pimples. As the treacherous eyebrows began to expand, I began to worry. I was afraid I'd soon have eyebrow hair in my eyes which would cloud my vision. Also, I was worried that it made me look bad.


Phase 3- So with a sinking heart and a pointy tweezer, I sat down one day to painfully plough away the excess eyebrow hair. Just fyi, I had absolutely no experience with tweezing or hair removal up till this point. I was too shy to get my eyebrows done, so I tried to secretly resolve the issue. As you can see, it turned out perfectly alright.


Phase 4- Back then, I was actually pleased with my eyebrow-tweezing expertise. I was happy to have gotten rid of the unibrow, even though it was terribly painful. In fact, my eyebrows looked almost okay from the distance. As months flew, I decided to become a little more daring. I tried to tweeze my eyebrows even thinner. And clearly, they turned out perfectly alright again. Clearly.


Phase 5- Sure, my eyebrows were roughly a skeletal version of actual, human eyebrows, but I didn't mind it much. Of course, people began to notice my strange eyebrows, but no one said much, because well, this was middle school and we all were just in that stage of understanding what looks good and what looks incomplete, I guess.

But as I entered high school and my workload increased, I realized I had lesser and lesser time to sit down for a good two hours and microscopically observe the minute and the massive hairs, so I slacked a little and let my eyebrows grow.


Phase 6- Eventually, I realized 'Heck, I'm in high school now', and finally decided to engulf on that journey to the parlor, where the eyebrow-lady painfully perfected my completely-experimented-on eyebrows. She fussed a lot about what I had done to them, but hey, it looked fine eventually so I was happy!


Phase 6- And this look went for a long, long time. Long enough that my hair (head hair) grew and I began to wear earrings and wear makeup and stuff. 




Phase 7- Then once again, I went a little daring, and as I grew even older and became almost immune to the pinching pain of threading, I got my eyebrows done to an optimum size that I thought suited my countenance.  This look also went on for a while. Till quite recently. 



Phase 8-  And finally, after a long journey of eyebrow-raising experiences, I finally, finally, inevitably screwed up. This summer, I went to my grandparents' house in the south of India, where I was constantly traveling from place to place to meet people to people. Some time during this trip, my eyebrows began to grow again (surprise surprise), and I wanted to get them done so bad, but it was hard to land up in a parlor. So I thought 'Ah, I can totally tweeze, I'm old enough now, how bad can I mess up?'. Clearly, I didn't mess up at all. Clearly, they turned out perfectly alright. 




Phase 9- As usually happens during screw-ups, I didn't realize how serious this issue was until I finally returned home and took a nice look in the mirror. I think my skin and hair cells died a little more than they usually do, when I saw myself. With a pounding heart, I reminisced the wonderful trip where I roamed about half the universe with a scattered-caterpillar eyebrow-do, without raising an eyebrow. So with a heavy heart, preparing myself for the fuss that the eyebrow-lady would make on my hot mess eyebrows, I walked in to the parlor. The lady said she did what she could. 



Phase 10- So yes, that brings me to my current eyebrow phase, with eyebrows that are super thinly plucked and tortured, but recovering. Hopefully they'll be back to normal soon, and till then, I must wait. 


Lesson- Don't try to do your own eyebrows. Unless you are amazing. Or a rebel. Or uncaring. 

4 comments:

Ghadeer said...

Hahahah, this is hilarious!

I was the Queen of Unibrows. I wasn't allowed to touch them until I turned 14. But yes, I always get them threaded by an expert and make sure they never get done too thinly which make my big eyes look skeletal.

songbird said...

Be glad you weren't allowed to touch them- you just saw the evidence of my preteen mistakes above! Hahah, I'm glad you could relate :D

Anonymous said...

Phase-8 x'D
OMG you're too good ;)

songbird said...

Haha, what's life without screw-ups, eh? :D